SEWN is in the project planning phase of creating an online web directory on our WordPress website, and we need more information on the scope of this project, so that we can determine the approximate cost and logistics. Our goal is to hire a web developer to work with us to launch this before year end when our members are due to renew.
The tool we prefer is MemberFindme, a WordPress compatible solution that will allow us to take payments and manage our membership database (currently just over 100 members), as well as displaying an attractive directory of member businesses. The vendor states that one-on-one support and training is included.
- Online form for members to fill in with information for the public web directory and also private information, such as home address or number of employees.
- Web directory including logo and photo, links, searchable by type of business or region (e.g. Gibsons, Sechelt). Businesses can belong to more than one business category. Home-based businesses do not have to display a street address.
- Members can opt out of the public directory.
- Members can renew online using Paypal portal.
- Software sends renewal reminders.
- Expired members are dropped from the directory, but not deleted from the database.
- Membership lists can be downloaded from database by an administrator.
- Members can update own entries. (Optional, depending on how much administration is involved and security concerns)
- Approximately how many hours of web development work are involved, and at what hourly rate?
- Can our current spreadsheet (see website) be uploaded to the software, or is significant data entry required?
- What support activities are needed that might be done by volunteers who are not web experts? (e.g. data entry)
- What have we missed?
For further information, please contact the SEWN board at firstname.lastname@example.org.